Friday, March 19, 2010

Probiotics?


I have introduced a new product on my website (iwellnesslearning.com) called Floraderm. It is a specially formulated probiotic for optimal digestion and healthy skin. I have personally used this product for about 12 years and have found it essential for maintaining a clear complexion as well as healthy digestion.

What are Probiotics?
We all have beneficial bacteria normally found in our bodies, especially in our digestive tracts. These 'friendly' bacteria assist with digestion and help protect against harmful bacteria. "An estimated 100 trillion microorganisms representing more than 500 different species inhabit every normal, healthy bowel." (Harvard Medical School Family Health Guide: http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update0905c.shtml)

Unfortunately, the diet and lifestyle of Americans has made most of us deficient in these helpful bacteria. One of the negative side effects of antibiotics is to kill off the good bacteria along with the bad. Birth control pills, white flour, processed foods and sugar all contribute to a gut environment hostile to these beneficial bacteria. This is a major contributing factor to the common problem of digestive complaints in the U.S. today. Taking probiotic supplements helps to build up a healthy supply of these 'friendly' bacteria in your intestines.

A growing body of scientific evidence suggests that you can treat and even prevent some illnesses with certain kinds of live bacteria. Researchers are finding encouraging evidence that probiotics may help:
  • Treat diarhhea
  • Treat IBS
  • Shorten the duration of intestinal infections
  • Prevent eczema in children
  • Contribute to immune function
Quality Matters
It is important to not just take any probiotic. many probiotic supplements have been shown not to actually retain the number of live bacteria claimed on their label. Dr. Shahani's probiotics are manufactured and packaged under rigorously strict conditions, guaranteeing the highest level of quality and delivery of healthy bacteria. Because of his pioneering research in the field of friendly bacteria or probiotics, Dr. Shahani is now respected as one of the most important figures in probiotic research.

How I Use Probiotics in My Family

I take several of these capsules a day. When I first started taking them, I had serious acne problems and regular stomach complaints. Because I was focusing on 'recolonizing' my intestinal tract, I started by taking more, and tapered down. Of all the methods I used to restore my health, this supplement was an essential ingredient that I still use today to maintain.

Whenever anyone in my family gets stomach complaints, I give them 1-2 capsules. Consider this as an alternative to Tums, PeptoBismal, antacids or any other over the counter stomach medicines. The great thing about probiotics however is there are no negative side effects, no rebound effects, no calcium leaching from the bones, etc. You are simply replacing an element in the body that you are deficient in, giving your body the chance to heal the problem from the inside out.

For my young children, I break the capsule apart and put it in applesauce or yogurt. When anyone is coming down with a cold I also give them a capsule a day for a few days as healthy bacteria have been shown to help keep harmful bacteria in check.

Sources; Helpful Links for Further Research:
The Harvard Medical School Family Health Guide:
http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update0905c.shtml

Mayo Clinic
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/probiotics/AN00389

No comments: