Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Holidays and Food

Did you know that Americans on average gain 5lbs every holiday season? 5lbs which most never lose! That can start to add up! So the holidays are approaching and this week I implemented some strategies for staying ahead in the food game. I'm going to share a few of these over the next week or so, I hope you enjoy them and that you'll share your tricks as well!

I always feel like trying to have more self-discipline is just like hacking at the branches of the trees rather than getting to the root of things. One of my favorite classes I've ever taken was called, "Being Your Best' and it was developed by Mark Fournier. He taught about four steps that lead to a passionate commitment.

The first step is to Establish a Need. This is an essential and often overlooked step to fundamental change. You may have been trying to lose weight for years, but if overall things are pretty okay, then deep down you may not really feel a need do anything different. You may really want things to be different, but if you asked yourself do you really need them to be different, the answer might be, "hmm...actually...no."

So we establish a need by looking at things differently. We start choosing to see the long term consequences of continuing the way we are. Fournier teaches the use of a 'cost/payoff' list.

If you are working on having a healthier lifestyle, list the costs of not improving this area of your life. Think of things that really matter, like being in good health for your kids and enjoying your later years with your spouse. Also list the payoffs of making the changes you desire to make. Refer to this list often and in this way you establish a need-the first step to fundamental change.

2 comments:

Katie Pettey said...

Did you just post this because I didn't see the "need" to take "the bet" and you thought I needed a little motivation? Well, it worked. I love the ideas you share and can't wait to read them all!

amber said...

Seriously! I had to make an all out plan of action because the whole discipline thing was failing so miserably for me! I'm about ready to start posting my calorie intake on facebook-maybe that will motivate me to settle down!!! I think this is helping, though. It's getting better...