Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Pulling Weeds-Part 1

When we begin the process of visualizing to create what we desire in our lives, we will invariably have times when we are plagued with doubts. The question arises, 'what is the best way to handle these doubts?'

We may be tempted to strong arm them back into the little crevices and holes they occupy in our body's and minds. The concern with that approach is that those deepest of beliefs and desires are what create the physical circumstances in our lives. Burying them deeper does not take away their power to influence what we are creating.

In the Book of Mormon, the ancient prophet Alma says,
"...for I know that [God] granteth unto men according to their desire, whether it be unto death or unto life; yea, I know that he allotteth unto men, yea decreeth unto them decrees which are unalterable, according to their wills, whether they be unto salvation or unto destruction. (Alma 29:4)

Often the desires or our heart are the ones we are less aware of, the ones that happen at a subconscious level. If they tend to be unto our destruction more than to our salvation, it's time to explore those deepest of feelings and heal what needs to be healed.

A Step in the Journey We've Begun
Visualizing is a powerful thing. It sets us on the path to what we desire. Any doubts, fears, and unhealthy beliefs that are keeping what we desire from manifesting will rise to the surface once we have started this journey. They are brought to our attention so that we can heal or release them.

In the past those fears and false beliefs have run our lives. Now if we bury or ignore them, we are simply starting the unhealthy cycle again. Instead we can use the opportunity our visualizing has provided and weed them out.

Get to the Root of It
One of my least favorite jobs growing up was weeding the garden. It was hot, grinding, dirty work. Pulling up weeds of doubt and fear can be uncomfortable, too. But as with gardening, the rewards are well worth the effort.

It's tempting when pulling weeds to take the easy way out and just rip the top off. Then everything looks pretty good on the surface. I remember my mom reminding me over and over of the importance of taking the time and the effort to dig around the weed, to twist and turn and hang on right at the bottom so that I'd pull the root up with the weed. Failing to do this just meant more work later on.

Sometimes when I'm working on making a change in my life, I'll wake up one day full of fear and anxiety. I'll doubt myself and feel like I'm crazy for even attempting to create something different. My present results seem to scream at me that it's useless to believe anything will ever be different. At times like this, I start pulling weeds.

There are three main methods that I use: Affirmations, EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique), and Guided Imagery. Theses methods combined with prayer and lots of determination have yielded powerful results in my life.

This has become an exciting process for me because few things bug me as much as knowing there are false beliefs and unhealthy desires buried inside of me working against my true desires. I love it when I am made aware of some and I can start gardening!

No comments: