Monday, March 15, 2010

Pulling Weeds-Part 2

Affirmations
When I find myself in a weed patch of fears and doubts, one of the first things I do is affirmations. Often those feelings of anxiety aren't based in anything serious and might be just as much a result of a bad night's sleep as anything else. So I identify what negative thoughts or feelings are in my head and work on affirming the opposite. These affirmations might be in words or in pictures (visualizations).

For example, if I'm feeling discouraged about not having healthy eating habits, I might affirm, "I care about my body. I enjoy healthy foods most. Even though I didn't eat healthy yesterday, I completely and totally love and accept myself." I strengthen affirmations like this with visualizing healthy foods that I really do love and putting some emotion behind the words.

Most of the time, this step will get me out of my funk and back into a hopeful, grateful vibration. But sometimes it goes deeper than this.

Create Some Quiet, Alone Time
If I have attempted to feel better using brief affirmations without much success, that indicates to me that I may have some weeds to pull.

I try to find 30 minutes or so of quiet alone time. Sometimes it takes a couple of days before I achieve this, but I try to do it as soon as I can. In the meantime, I pay attention to those feelings, I don't dismiss them or bury them, I release them. It's kind of like those feelings are trying to tell me something, and in the back of my mind I'm always listening, trying to understand the message.

When you have found a quiet moment to be alone, lie down and start taking a look at those feelings. Ask yourself questions, and pay close attention to the first thought that comes to you mind in response. Be open to wherever your thoughts may lead you. Here are some starter questions:
  • What am I feeling?
  • Why am I feeling this way?
  • When did this start? or What triggered this?
  • Are there any memories from my childhood or my past that come to mind when I ponder this feeling and situation?
  • What am I afraid of?
  • What false beliefs am I subscribing to right now?
  • Where in my body is most of this emotion centered? (this may seem like a strange question to those of you who are still learning to be in tune to your body, but you will be surprised at how obvious the answers are when you ask the question...)
  • Do I have fears or concerns regarding deserving?
  • What is my payoff for holding onto this? or How is it serving me to hold to this, how is it keeping me safe?
Try very hard to think only of yourself. Don't allow yourself to place blame or responsibility on anyone else. Do not waste any energy thinking of changes you would like others to make. If other people come into your mind during this process, observe with a sense of detachment your thoughts and feelings regarding them.

Do not berate yourself for anything you are feeling or believing. Treat yourself as you would a beloved 3 year old child who has come to you with deep fears and concerns. Surround yourself with safety and love and faith that you will be able to work through this and with God's help, heal it. Think in terms of learning, understanding, forgiving, releasing, healing. Know that He is by your side in this journey, the Great Physician.

As you ponder the above and other questions, hopefully you will learn some important things about yourself and where you are at in the process of creating what you desire. Try to connect the dots between these feelings, memories, and beliefs and your current circumstances. This is how you can prepare for your gardening.

No comments: